Microsoft Advertising Feature Suggestions

Welcome, friends!  This is a place for you to suggest a feature you'd like added to Microsoft Advertising, or vote for those already suggested by your peers to help them rise to the top of this feed. To see if your feature is already live or someone else mentioned it already, do a keyword search in the search function below, or check out our library of Features & Releases. You can also send a private e-mail to advertising-feedback@microsoft.com if you prefer not to post to this forum.  

Looking for technical support or have an issue about something that didn't work according to expectations? Please contact the Microsoft Advertising support team.   

Please keep in mind that it takes time to design, develop, test, and release new features, but we'll be sure to update entries when we announce or release updates based on your feedback. Also, note that choosing the right category will help route your suggestion more quickly. 

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop dropping words from exact match keywords

Bing has started dropping words from exact match terms and calling it under 'same search intent'. For example, they are dropping PURCHASE intent keywords like buy, order, online, ship, delivery and mapping it to the root words.

For example, the keyword 'buy sticky toffee pudding' will show for the search 'sticky toffee pudding' because they say the intent is the same. The data I have absolutely differs - people do not convert on the root word, or if they do, it's a rate that makes the ROAS exceptionally poor.

Also, Google does not do this. They do not drop words…

69 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We appreciate your feedback. We do not currently have plans to roll back the update to exact match, which included synonyms/implied words/same search intent. Our algorithms are constantly learning to improve the matching quality and we closely track close variant performance. For many advertisers, we have seen lower CPAs and higher CTRs for EEM compared to True Exact. It should also be noted that we will prefer true exact matches over any close variant where applicable. We will continue to monitor close variant quality as well as incorporate your feedback into our planning around any algorithm changes. We encourage you to continue to open support tickets if you are dissatisfied with the traffic your campaigns are receiving.

2. Fix The Exact Match Keyword Update (Synonyms?)

Bing needs to fix the recent exact match keyword update. The new update essentially makes exact match keywords useless. With the new update, exact keywords can match to synonyms which does NOT allow advertisers to show the most relevant ad to someone searching on Bing.

For us, this has resulted in a lower return on investment and higher advertising spend.

For those not familiar, Bing's new update allows for reordering, stop/function word dropping, implied words/ same search intent, and synonyms (NEW). The update was designed to follow Googles new update for exact match keywords. Unfortunately, the parity is far from…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We appreciate your feedback. We do not currently have plans to roll back the update to exact match, which included synonyms/implied words/same search intent. Our algorithms are constantly learning to improve the matching quality and we closely track close variant performance. For many advertisers, we have seen lower CPAs and higher CTRs for EEM compared to True Exact. It should also be noted that we will prefer true exact matches over any close variant where applicable. We will continue to monitor close variant quality as well as incorporate your feedback into our planning around any algorithm changes. We encourage you to continue to open support tickets if you are dissatisfied with the traffic your campaigns are receiving.

3. Broad Match Modifier Workability

Please can you add an option to change broad match keywords to BMM without having to delete and re-upload them. OR, break away from what Google do and have BMM as its own match type

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Update negative phrase match logic

The current negative phrase match setup makes it impossible to negative match some of the terms I need to avoid. For example, say I want to avoid anything containing "Progressive". Current phrase match rules will only negative match the query if "progressive" is a standalone word. Broad match is too broad (I want "auto insurance") and exact match can only be done afterwards on long-tail queries. How can I negative something like "progressiveagent" where there should be a space, but isn't?

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow for negative broad match keywords

Google allows to add broad match negative keywords. Bing, please do the same!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove "how to" as a noise word in search

I want to target a phrase that is "how to xxxxxx", and I can not just use phrase or exact match...because the ad also shows up for only the word "xxxxx". This is a waste of clicks, and is not targeted.

Can you please remove "how to" as a noise word? This would make it much better for marketers to really target down lots of keyword phrases and exact matches.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Broad Match Modifiers - Disable Close Variations

Because Bing's Broad matching algorithm is overly aggressive, we should at least have the option to disable close variations when using Broad Match Modifiers. We've setup many keywords that include a few broad match modified keywords, and our ad will return for search terms that do not include all (or sometimes any) of those keywords. That's more than a little ridiculous, and defeats the purpose of setting up Broad Match Modifiers.

If I'm explicitly setting up a keyword where I'm requiring a certain term be present in the search query, it's quite presumptuous to simply match that term to what…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Turn off Close Variations since it can cause irrelevant search terms

We should have a feature where we can turn off close variations to avoid having irrelevant search terms. I'm afraid continuously adding irrelevant searches to my negative keywords list won't really work. As you can see, my ads are shown for completely random keywords so even is I add them as negative, I will be still spending money for other trash search terms.What's the point of exact match type if it's basically the same as broad? This is extremely important.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Broad Match is Ridiculous

the broad match is literally a joke,

the keyword Polytunnels triggers when searchers type:

bmw accessories
    caravan
    Halfords
    bmx
    pets
    fish

there is broad then there is off the scale....

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Negative Broad Match Keywords

This needs to be a feature. It's absurd using only phrase and exact negatives when a broad match negative would solve so many problems dealing with wasted spend and irrelevant keyword matches.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Negative keyword for Broad match

Some terms are still not properly filtered with negative keyword. Hope it will work with Broad. Bing should consider adding a match type of broad to the negative KW's...it can make our life much easier.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Broad Match Type in Negative Keyword

Broad Match Type in Negative Keyword

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please add multi-language support for broad match modifier

Broad match modifiers (+keyword) are often the best choice for campaigns. Please make this option available for languages other than English and French (at least in German and Spanish).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. broad to broad match modified keywords

it would be great if there was an easier way to change broad keywords to modified broad keywords without having to go thru excel and learning formulas and spending so much time doing it. there must be an easier way. You should think about coming up with a 2 or 3 click process of making this happen. thank you

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please let negative keywords block close variants

Negative keywords should be able to block close variant exact matches.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Match Types  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Do not ignore extraneous words in case of Broad Match Modified

I was trying to focus on keywords which have extraneous keywords like how, what in them. I was told that those words are ignored by the bing, even when I add + sign in front of them
    e.g.

+how to create a qr code will match to any of the following search terms:-
    1) "create qr code"
    2) "qr code generator"
    3) "make code" etc.

Now I will not be able to target only queries which have "how" word in them even if I use + .

The ideal scenario would have been not to ignore extraneous words like "how"…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Broad Match Modifier-"Equivalent expressions"

The whole purpose of BMM is to serve MORE relevant ads based on the query-not to simply get around BMM to serve less relevant ads because BING doesn't like the results or thinks they are getting somehow more relevant ads because you get .3% more clicks. the latter is impossible to measure b/c there are too many variables in play.

example: query is "liquidation warehouse in phoenix arizona"; ad that gets served/attributed keyword=store liquidation expert/liquidation store.

can you see how ******** that is to serve the wrong ad?

if i dont catch that mistake(on your part) i have to police…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Let us add plus sign (+) to existing broad-matched keywords

Currently, in order to add broad match modifier to our existing broad-matched keywords, we have to add new plus-signed keywords and delete the old keywords. That's inconvenient and we lost the existing data of impressions, clicks, spent, etc.

It would be very helpful if we are able to add plus sign (+) to existing broad-matched keywords, like how users of Google Adwords can do.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Negative Keyword Conflicts Are Inaccurately Interpreted By Bing

We've come across a fairly significant difference in how Bing treats negative keywords vs. how AdWords treats them - the result of these differences would force us to use less accurate of targeting in Bing.

Our account structure is split into 2 campaign types, exact match (E) and broad match modified (BMM). Each E keyword is copied into a BMM campaign of exactly the same campaign structure. In order to prevent the BMM campaigns from bidding on our E campaigns and keywords, we've inserted a negative exact match version of each E keyword into each BMM campaign.

Visual example of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base