How can we improve Microsoft Advertising to create a better experience?

Fix The Exact Match Keyword Update (Synonyms?)

Bing needs to fix the recent exact match keyword update. The new update essentially makes exact match keywords useless. With the new update, exact keywords can match to synonyms which does NOT allow advertisers to show the most relevant ad to someone searching on Bing.

For us, this has resulted in a lower return on investment and higher advertising spend.

For those not familiar, Bing's new update allows for reordering, stop/function word dropping, implied words/ same search intent, and synonyms (NEW). The update was designed to follow Googles new update for exact match keywords. Unfortunately, the parity is far from close.

Please remove the synonym addition to the exact match update and allow advertisers to show the most relevant ad to someone searching on Bing.

22 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Greg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Serena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for sharing your concerns! At this time, we have no plans to and don’t foresee rolling back the close variant expansion to synonyms/implied words/same search intent. We closely monitor the quality of all EM at the marketplace level and have seen that EEM CVR is comparable to True Exact CVR, and EEM CTR is in fact slightly higher than True Exact CTR. We're always continuing to monitor and adjust our algorithms to maintain our quality thresholds.

For those advertisers that are uniquely impacted by the changes, please continue to open support tickets – our engineering team closely reviews the matches and patterns that cause DSATs and takes that into account.

In the meantime, we’re partnering with our Reporting team to distinguish our close variant matches in the Search Term Report, to better allow our customers/AMs to manage their expected matches and negatives negatives.

• Nikki Kuhlman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - I'm seeing the keyword [bread pudding order online] mapping to [bread pudding near me]! Two completely different intents!

Feedback and Knowledge Base